I thought I’d share a few good things that have happened to me recently.
- My photography class ended, and I got an A. I start fall classes at the end of August. I’ll be taking, English, Introduction to Digital Photography, Intro to Sociology, and Survey in Mathematics. I’m really excited to be back in school full-time!
- I became a Job-Class Trainer at work, meaning I get to train new cashiers on the register. I trained a new employee last week, and she did really well. If all goes well, I’ll be promoted to customer service by the end of the year. My managers have told me that I’m doing really well lately. A big part of my job is being outgoing and friendly to the customers, something I have struggled with due to anxiety. Lately, I’ve been able to step out of my comfort zone and engage with customers, which not only makes me feel more confident, but helps me do my job effectively.
- Last week, a deaf customer came into the store, and I was able to use my (very limited) American Sign Language skills to talk to her. Her face lit up when I signed, “Have a nice day,” to her. I like to think I’m able to make a difference in someone’s day by making the effort to communicate with them.
- Speaking of languages, I also speak Spanish, and I’ve been practicing with Spanish-speaking customers. I met a woman who teaches at a Montessori school here in town, and she offered me a job teaching English vocabulary to Spanish-speaking students. I need to follow up with her, but I’m really excited about this potential opportunity.
- I’ve written two short stories and a poem in the past month, and I’m working on another short story. It’s so nice to finally be writing again. I will get these stories published. All in good time.